“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” —Leo F. Buscaglia

Good morning! As I was traveling recently, I gave up my seat to a family who wanted to sit together. I ended up sitting next to two friends who have been friends for over forty years and were giddy with excitement for their upcoming vacation. The experience reminded me of today’s quote and how life has a funny way of reminding you of how a simple hello can turn any day into one to remember.Have you seen the movie (or read the book) The Five People You Meet in Heaven? I strongly suggest reading the book. To me, one of the most fascinating concepts in it was how we can have a dramatic influence on each other’s lives and, often, we don’t even know it.Without giving away the crux of the story, the main character meets five people on whom he had a dramatic impact during his lifetime. Interestingly, he didn't even know the name of some of the individuals.About a year ago, I received a call from a young publisher. She had entered into the field and was realizing great success after meeting me at a seminar. Another time, I received a very touching email, spurred by a simple gesture that I wouldn't have thought twice about making. It turned out that this gesture had been a lifeline at a very trying time for this person.Many of us long to give back to the world but believe we lack time or resources to do so. This quote and these experiences help me remember that giving back often takes little or no time if we are open to the possibilities.

As you go throughout your day, remember that all the things you do and all the things you don’t do have a major impact on those around you. What legacy are you going to create today

Today, I recognize each opportunity to act with caring and kindness. I live (and will leave) a legacy of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment