“I’ve had a long day" all of your days are the same, It is just your perception that is changing.”

Good morning! A few years ago, I came home from my office and I was wiped out. The week had been hectic, and in additional to professional challenges, I had some emotional challenges, too. My daughter leap out to greet me. She was not challenge wrought. She was speaking excitedly, each sentence hitting a higher octave than the one before. Quickly, she rattled off an ambitious list of things she wanted to do in the few hours before bed.“ I've had a long day, Sammy.”She replied with the simple sentence . “Actually, all of your days are the same, Mother. It is just your perception that is changing.”As she skipped off toward the kitchen, I couldn't help but laugh to myself. My daughter seems to have inherited my interest in how people think, and what people think. And in this instance, her ten-year-old mind was very much on target. My day couldn't have been any longer than the one before, or the one to come next. My perception of what was within that day was overwhelming me not the day itself.Somehow, realizing that it is our perception of life, and not life itself, that troubles us makes it easier to climb to a better emotional place.I quickly adapted my thinking. Instead of being “wiped out” by the day, I decided to appreciate all I had accomplished emotionally and professionally during it. (And to go to bed early and get a good night’s sleep!)

On your “tough days,” appreciate all you have faced and accomplished. Reward yourself with a positive thought and a bit of extra self-attention and care.

I appreciate all life gives me each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment